Online Safety Community

We have a customer that is requiring us to have a written behavior based program. It must include: ee observations, training and feedback from observations, documentation and collection of data, action plan and trend analysis, and follow up on action plan. I am all for safety and keeping my guys safe... but I am getting overwhelmed with the big company requirements. Does anyone have a written plan they would like to share or any advise?

Views: 796

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good Afternoon Heather,
Although I don't have a written program at this time, I have been doing much research on Behavior Based Safety. Coastal training has a free webinar that you can attend, and also sends you some free trial material that I found helpful, along with a hardcover book that is excellent. I get lots of help on the topic from our WC carrier. They actually come to our company and walk thru areas and teach me how to do a safety audit based on behavior. You may want to contact your WC carrier, they may have free training material for you also.
Heather,

It can be overwhelming at first to get your program started. When you start your program you need to look at the big picture, I.E. the start, middle and the long hull! When you get the program started you need to think of all these parts. Getting the program started can be the easy part but keeping your employees motivated in the program is the harder part. You need to set it up tords your Safety needs not others. I know that is not what you are looking for but in the long run it will benefit you more.

We use a incentive program to keep our employees motivated, this does not always mean MONEY! Sometimes recognition is more motivating then money. We use both money and recognition and we get better feedback from recognition. You also need to get your Management sold on your product first, with out that then you are fighting a losing battle. I suggest you get your managers to form a committee and look at your safety concerns I.E. Lost time incidents, recordables, and near misses. Set up a graph of what caused these incidents and start your program with those items.

Make this program a big deal, you will have to spend some money on posters and presentations. Have your workers get involve also in this program, I promise they are seeing more out there and can give you better input on topics also.

Finally give them feedback with graphs, numbers or make it into a competition.

We use a company called JW Toups to help set up our paper side of our program and they also have some videos on how to run your program too. Here is their website http://www.jwtoups.com/

I hope this helps and if you need some more help let me know and I will try!
Heather-
I don't have a plan like that I could share with you, but I think you can do this and keep it relatively simple. As with most programs, the documentation and follow up will be among the bigger challenges, so you need to design those elements in a way that encourages employees to participate. Don't make the requirement to document cumbersome, and do make the action plan meaningful. Demonstrate that documented observations are rewarded with action that resolves problems. The core of a behavior based program is that the behavior is reinforced. As already noted, that doesn't always mean financial incentive, sometimes reward is in the actions taken as a result of participation.
Good Luck

RSS

Take our poll!

Take our poll!

Latest Activity

Training Doyens posted an event
Thumbnail

Discretionary Effort Leadership: How to Increase Charisma and Influence to Build Dynamic Teams at 26468 E Walker Dr, Aurora, Colorado 80016

June 20, 2018 from 1pm to 2pm
OVERVIEWEach person is born ethnocentric, or believing that other people and events revolve around them which is generally true for the first few years of a child's life. The focus of activity for a growing child is inward. Some people carry this inward, self-focus into adulthood. These people, so overly concerned with their own well-being in a self-centred way, never learn the secrets of influence. Successful people, who want to have the power of persuasion, turn their circle of activity and…See More
52 minutes ago
Mark Nilson posted events
2 hours ago
Training Doyens posted events
yesterday
Jen McDade posted a discussion

Remote Monitoring

Get "Safe Assets and Sound Productivity" Through Remote Monitoring.Visit: https://aware360.com/e-books/remote-assets-monitoring-solution/See More
yesterday

Forum

Remote Monitoring

Get "Safe Assets and Sound Productivity" Through Remote Monitoring.Visit:…Continue

Tags: Solutions, People, IoT, Monitoring, Remote

Started by Jen McDade yesterday.

Python Condition Objects Tutorial in 2018 1 Reply

If you have knowledge of other programming languages, then you would know the importance of conditional statements. Conditional statements are required for taking decisions. Whenever we operate the…Continue

Tags: course, certification, training, languages, programming

Started by Elena Lauren. Last reply by Jim Chesters May 15.

Power BI Visualization Types

Visualizations in Power BI displays the visual insights from a data. In power bi service a visual can be pinned from reports to create dashboards. Visuals are used in reports.List of visualizations…Continue

Tags: COURSE, TRAINING, BI, POWER

Started by Azharuddin May 15.

Automation Anywhere. How do I pick a value from dropdown 1 Reply

Automation Anywhere. How do I pick a value from dropdown. I tried 'set text' from a copied variable. Its very slow, and also doesnt…Continue

Tags: anywhere, automation

Started by emmablisa. Last reply by venkatesh Mar 29.

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Safety Community.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service