Online Safety Community

We have a customer that is requiring us to have a written behavior based program. It must include: ee observations, training and feedback from observations, documentation and collection of data, action plan and trend analysis, and follow up on action plan. I am all for safety and keeping my guys safe... but I am getting overwhelmed with the big company requirements. Does anyone have a written plan they would like to share or any advise?

Views: 829

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good Afternoon Heather,
Although I don't have a written program at this time, I have been doing much research on Behavior Based Safety. Coastal training has a free webinar that you can attend, and also sends you some free trial material that I found helpful, along with a hardcover book that is excellent. I get lots of help on the topic from our WC carrier. They actually come to our company and walk thru areas and teach me how to do a safety audit based on behavior. You may want to contact your WC carrier, they may have free training material for you also.
Heather,

It can be overwhelming at first to get your program started. When you start your program you need to look at the big picture, I.E. the start, middle and the long hull! When you get the program started you need to think of all these parts. Getting the program started can be the easy part but keeping your employees motivated in the program is the harder part. You need to set it up tords your Safety needs not others. I know that is not what you are looking for but in the long run it will benefit you more.

We use a incentive program to keep our employees motivated, this does not always mean MONEY! Sometimes recognition is more motivating then money. We use both money and recognition and we get better feedback from recognition. You also need to get your Management sold on your product first, with out that then you are fighting a losing battle. I suggest you get your managers to form a committee and look at your safety concerns I.E. Lost time incidents, recordables, and near misses. Set up a graph of what caused these incidents and start your program with those items.

Make this program a big deal, you will have to spend some money on posters and presentations. Have your workers get involve also in this program, I promise they are seeing more out there and can give you better input on topics also.

Finally give them feedback with graphs, numbers or make it into a competition.

We use a company called JW Toups to help set up our paper side of our program and they also have some videos on how to run your program too. Here is their website http://www.jwtoups.com/

I hope this helps and if you need some more help let me know and I will try!
Heather-
I don't have a plan like that I could share with you, but I think you can do this and keep it relatively simple. As with most programs, the documentation and follow up will be among the bigger challenges, so you need to design those elements in a way that encourages employees to participate. Don't make the requirement to document cumbersome, and do make the action plan meaningful. Demonstrate that documented observations are rewarded with action that resolves problems. The core of a behavior based program is that the behavior is reinforced. As already noted, that doesn't always mean financial incentive, sometimes reward is in the actions taken as a result of participation.
Good Luck

RSS

Take our poll!

Take our poll!

Forum

safety equipments in breweries 4 Replies

safety equipments in breweries -- kindly provide detailsContinue

Started by ajit. Last reply by Jen McDade yesterday.

Unusual Safety Tips 10 Replies

Please share some unusual but genuine safety precautions.My unusual safety tips - Don't drink sweet fruity juice while driving in the night as it contains sugar and sugar slows down your blood…Continue

Started by Arnold Brame. Last reply by Jen McDade yesterday.

Safety products 9 Replies

While working or at some work stations, employees are exposed to threats or at times suffer severe injuries. The safety of the employee should be the foremost priority. Safety equipment aids help in…Continue

Tags: equipments, and, products

Started by Enna Henry. Last reply by Jen McDade yesterday.

Talend Application Integration

APPLICATION INTEGRATION:Talend ESB and Application Integration delivers agile real-time integration of applications and data.Heterogeneous Application and Data IntegrationTalend’s open source ESB…Continue

Tags: york, new, certification, training, talend

Started by nicolewells on Friday.

Workplace health and safety Signs 4 Replies

You cannot ignore the importance of safety signs at your workplace. There is no scope to underestimate the important to health and…Continue

Tags: Prohibition, Workplace, Warning, Signs, Safety

Started by healthandsafetysigns. Last reply by Jen McDade Sep 17.

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Safety Community.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service