Online Safety Community

Hey Guys,

How many of you have taken the 510 and 500 OSHA Trainer course? I am thinking about taking these 2 classes and become an OSHA trainer for my company. What are your guys thoughts on the courses? Was it very difficult? I would also like to be qualified to train competent persons in fall protection. Some say the 500 does this for you, others say it does not and the only thing you can teach is the 10hr. and 30hr. OSHA courses. What do you guys know about this. What would I need to train competent persons in fall protection?

Views: 2940

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For osha 500 and 510 you will need to take classroom classes and they are pretty expensive too where as osha 10 and 30 hour courses are available online and you can take the courses at your ease and the best part is they are very cheap.

I've taken the 10 and 30 hour. They are a requirement where I work. I'm interested in becoming a trainer. The cost I am not worried about because my company will pay for them as long as I can show them how it can benefit them. I could teach the 10 and 30 hour Osha's to company employees and that would save them money in the long run, and I could make a little on the side teaching the class on the weekends. What I would really like to know is what is required for me to teach Competent person in Fall Protection classes. This has always been a problem with our sub-contractors. They cannot prove adequate Fall Protection training for their employee's.  The job will then be on hold until they find proper training. If I had the qualification to train their personnel this problem would be solved. I don't think the 500 and 510 would qualify me as a Fall Protection Instructor. 

Hi Alfred,

I just found out that might help you,

http://www.oshacampus.com/supervisor-and-competent-person-training/...

I am not sure if this training is fulfill the criteria you are looking for, thought i might help you.

I have been an OSHA authorized trainer in the 500 / 501 disciplines for many years (since 1992).  I have been back to the institute where I received my training many times for the required refresher courses 502 / 503 every 4 years.  I personally recommend that you attend the "in person" classes to get more information and stories of the experiences of the instructors.  I'm not a huge fan of the on-line stuff.

If you are lacking in experience in the field as a safety manager, the 510 class will be a very good course for you.  It will get deep into the standards so that you are more familiar with the rules and the application of the federal regulations.  The 500 / 501 courses are more designed to "Train the Trainer" in delivering the information that you get from the standards.  The best thing for you to do to be a better teacher is to know your material well.  Invest lots of time in reading and learning the OSHA rules in CFR 29 parts 1910 & 1926.  The classes are fun if you go to the right school.  I attend the Rocky Mountain Ed Center in Colorado - Good Luck!  Terry

Hey Terry, thanks for the response. I've been in construction for nearly 30 years. I've been an SSHO on COE jobs for the past 5 years. The on-line stuff I use during the day when the job is slow. Its hard to get any time away from the job for hands on formal training. I do for all my competent person training.

My question to you is, when I finish the OSHA train the trainer courses, what can I train. I've been told this will allow me to teach the OSHA 10 and 30. That's it. I'm wanting to also train people in "competent persons in fall protection", or "Competent person in confined space" what kind of classwork is needed to become a "qualified" person to teach these classes.

As an authorized OSHA 500 / 501 instructor, you may teach the class, request & issue student cards, and provide valuable information to your company and clients.

Many people get caught up in credentials and "certification" to do anything these days.  I kind of like OSHA pure approach to the whole competent person thing.  The standards require that the employer is responsible to train their employees.  With some exceptions, that means that you (being the individual who knows the standards and can communicate them to your co-workers) are the authorized individual to do the training.  If you want to send them off to a fancy school or seminar you certainly may, but you don't need to. 

Take the materials from your 10/30 hour course and get into the details of fall protection.  Teach ALL of the methods (Guardrails - arresting - restraint - nets - etc.) in enough detail so that your employees are truly competent in the area of study.  Make sure that they know what it takes to be deemed a "competent person" in any of the given areas.

1926.32(f) Definitions: Competent person {76 times in 1926} - means one who is capable of identifying existing and predictable hazards in the surroundings or working conditions which are unsanitary, hazardous, or dangerous to employees, and who has authorization to take prompt corrective measures to eliminate them.

Teach them how to see the danger, what to do to fix it, and know that they have the authorization to do it.  They are now your competent people - issue them a card if you like.  See CFR 29 part 1926.21 Safety Training and Education..."The employer shall instruct" - how you do it is up to you.  The people with a Master's degree might not like to hear that, but it's the truth.

I agree 100% Terry. But my problem is the Army Corps of Engineers (COE). They get a little ridiculous when it comes to training. For example. When a sub contractor has work above 6 ft. they must submit a site specific fall protection plan for approval. This plan must be approved before they can start work. In this plan you must prove the competent persons credentials, and fall protection training for the crew. I will show the COE the competent persons certifications and the training for their personnel with all the required dates and signatures. Then the COE will ask, "Who trained your competent person", We need to see the qualifications of the "Qualified" person. So you track down the safety compliance company that trained the competent person. He shows his credentials, and attach that to the submittal for approval...Now you hear, "well who trained this qualified person", "how do we know he's qualified to train the trainer of the competent person. It gets down right ridiculous. This kind of proof in documentation could go on forever. Terry, if you've never worked on a Army COE of a Navy NAVFAC job, consider yourself fortunate. They interpret their EM385 1-1 safety manual in ways you would not believe. The only good thing about these jobs as an SSHO is that not many folks can stomach it, so their usually plenty of work for us. I'm just looking for answers. If somehow I can prove I'm qualified to train the trainer of the trainers who train the trainers who train the competent person(s). Maybe, just maybe, I could streamline the process.

I had a former team member leave our company and go to work for the COE on projects in Colorado.  He gave me a heads up about their ways, and it sounds like they haven't changed. 

The only thing that I could suggest to get them to be satisfied with your credentials and knowledge base would be for you to go to the OSHA training institutes and take some of their specific courses (Fall protection - excavations - electrical - etc.) and get their certification in those areas.  It will take some time and money, but if you are required to have it for your position at a COE site, then I guess you will have to go that route.  I have to adjust my approach at times as well when I run into a client that gets particular about rules and training of my crews.  The "4 foot" fall protection rule is an example of this.  Try to explain the difference between the 1910 and 1926 rules to a corporate "yes man" that thinks his ways are better than the established techniques. 

Good Luck - Terry

You can visit http://mymictrainingtechnologies.com/ and contact Mymic Training Technologies they help you to clarify your queries. MYMIC Training Technologies are the computer-based 3D virtual and interactive simulations learning development company.

RSS

Take our poll!

Take our poll!

Latest Activity

Nakul Pratap joined HSE People's group
Thumbnail

HSE People

For anyone using www.hsepeople.com
9 hours ago
Nakul Pratap joined B. Kevin Stafford, Esq.'s group
Thumbnail

Construction Safety

All aspects of safety in construction!
9 hours ago
Nakul Pratap joined Henry P's group
Thumbnail

Safety Training Info

New Training requirement and what is OSHA citing companies onSee More
9 hours ago
Nakul Pratap joined Jack Lingner's group
Thumbnail

Working At Heights

Most employment fields come with their own set of risks, but some are not for the faint of heart. Workers who perform tasks at heights can face a number of potential dangers that others avoid by keeping their feet on the ground. There are a number of steps that you can take to ensure the safety of yourself and your coworkers when working at heights. The best way to avoid injury when working at heights is to mitigate or manage as many risks as possible. While working at heights may never be…See More
9 hours ago

Forum

What's your favorite motivational/safety quote? 98 Replies

Favorite Motivational Quote: If you want something, you'll find a way - If not, you'll find an excuse.Favorite Safety Quote: Don't learn safety by accident!Continue

Started by Michelle Sears. Last reply by David R Snell Apr 26.

Feedback on a injury prevention product we're building.

Hi everyone!For full transparency ill tell you a little about myself and what I hope to accomplish. My name is Zuber and I'm an engineering student who founded a startup helping to build wearable…Continue

Tags: product, prevention, injury, back, safety

Started by Zuber Ahmed Apr 24.

Best overall personal safety book? 1 Reply

What do you think is  the best all-in-one book out there for optimizing personal safety and the safety of one's family?  Right now I have …Continue

Started by David R Snell. Last reply by David R Snell Apr 21.

Fire codes for residential buildings

Hi,Can anybody kindly give me a hint how to find Fire Codes for residential buildings in different cities in the United States?Continue

Started by Darren Asad Apr 14.

OSHA and Machine Guard Door Safety???

We have what we feel is not a unique situation and were wondering if anyone might of run across this challenge and know more about the requirements.  We are building a small machine system that…Continue

Tags: electric, osha, air, door, interlocked

Started by Scott V Mar 24.

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Safety Community.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service