Online Safety Community

Cut Resistance vs. Cut Protection: How do I select the right glove for my application?

What is the difference between cut resistance and cut protection and how do I select the right protective glove for my application?
Jeff Moreland,
Textile Technologist,
Occupational Knitted Products Technology

Cut resistance is a material property defined by the amount of energy or force required to cut through a material using a moving blade. It is often the only factor considered when selecting gloves for cut protection because it can be readily measured using standard test methods and devices. The most common test for cut resistance in the U.S. is ASTM F1790 which, along with ANSI/ISEA glove selection criteria , provides a convenient rating scale for cut resistance ranging from 0 to 5. While this rating system is useful for comparing the cut resistance of products, it alone is not enough to truly predict the level of cut protection offered by a product.

The challenge with cut testing is that laboratory tests may not adequately simulate on-the-job conditions. Factors such as the profile of the cutting edge, the magnitude of forces involved in the test, and environmental conditions will all affect the measured cut resistance. In addition, cut protection goes beyond a simple measure of a material's cut resistance and is influenced by many other factors – some related to other material properties and product attributes and others to workplace conditions. When selecting gloves for cut protection, it is important to consider all the requirements of an application, not just cut resistance.

Cut hazards are as prevalent at the end of a shift as at the start, so it is important to consider the abrasion resistance and durability of a product when making a glove selection, especially when gloves will be worn all day or reused for many days. Some gloves may provide excellent protection initially, but this may diminish as the glove is worn and abraded or when exposed to degrading environments such as high temperatures or chemicals.

Dexterity is essential for applications where workers handle small, sharp objects and comfort is important when gloves must be worn for extended periods of time. Since a glove is only effective when it is worn, dexterity and comfort are also important for ensuring compliance. If a worker must remove a glove because of discomfort or interference with job function, the risk of cut injury significantly increases regardless of the level of protection offered by the glove.

Handling sharp objects and tools is a common hazard, and without a sure grip those objects and tools are prone to slip, which can lead to serious cut injuries. Gloves with enhanced grip provide workers with more handling control and dexterity and can help prevent these slippage cuts. Enhanced grip has also been shown to significantly decrease the force required during handling , which further reduces the risk of cut injury. Environmental factors such as temperature, moisture, and lubricants can significantly affect grip and should also be considered when selecting gloves for cut protection.

Glove selection is just one component of a hand protection program, and other factors not related to gloves such as machine guards, workplace set-up, lighting, worker experience, and training are also important. Sleeves and aprons may be required to protect other parts of the body and, in some applications, workers may require protection from other hazards such as chemicals, electricity, or high temperatures in addition to cut protection.

Workers should keep in mind that gloves claiming cut resistance or cut protection do not completely prevent or eliminate the potential for cuts and are not intended for use near powered blades or other rotating equipment. Individuals should always exercise caution when handling any sharp object and be alert to their surroundings.

Posted from AnsellPro.com.

Views: 30

Take our poll!

Take our poll!

Latest Activity

Adam Fleaming posted a blog post

The GDPR differs Significantly from EC Data Protection Directive 95/ 46

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which has been codified as Regulation (EU) 2016/679, is a very powerful law regarding the protection of data of the half billion people who live in the European Union (EU). Having come into effect as a result of the European Commission having adapted the proposal for its creation on January 25, 2012; it will replace Directive…See More
14 hours ago
Adam Fleaming posted events
16 hours ago
John Robinson posted an event
Thumbnail

Laboratory Compliance webinar for $10 each at Online

August 16, 2017 at 10am to December 31, 2017 at 11am
Want to enhance your regulatory compliance career by learning a new course? All that it costs is $10. Yes, GlobalCompliancePanel, a provider of professional trainings, is offering hundreds of high value regulatory compliance courses for a mere $10 each.Regulatory compliance learning, that vital ingredient needed for professionals in any area of regulatory compliance, is a put off, because many…See More
16 hours ago
rodriguezcecelia posted a blog post

How PMP Certification impact Your Salary?

Before investing money and time in PMP certification, it is very important for anyone to understand how the certification will impact salary. In this article, we will discuss PMP certification and its effects on salary, which can help you to decide whether you should go for it or not. We will focus on different perspectives of PMP salary, which is based on experience, the size of the company, designation and many others. Overview of PMP CertificationThough the PMP certification salary hike is…See More
yesterday

Discussion Forum

Palm Dip Gloves

I didn't know if any of you knew this, but Wells Lamont came out with a pair of Palm Dip Gloves (FlexTech Y9216). It's suppose to be constructed to comply with ANSI cut level 5. The palm is dipped in…Continue

Started by Jay D. Rohman Dec 26, 2015.

Understanding Cut Protection 1 Reply

Bill BennettMarketing Manager, Chemical and Disposable Products, AnsellCut Resistance (i.e. CPPT value) is often the primary factor considered when evaluating cut protection because it can be readily…Continue

Tags: protection, cut

Started by Safety Community. Last reply by Rick Holm Feb 1, 2010.

Is better testing needed for Cut Protection?

I am involved in both ASTM and ISEA, and we are constantly looking for ways to improve the testing related to Cut Protection. But we rarely get comments from people outside of those organizations…Continue

Tags: astm, isea, standards, testing, protection

Started by Jeff Moreland Jan 19, 2010.

Cut Resistance vs. Cut Protection: How do I select the right glove for my application?

What is the difference between cut resistance and cut protection and how do I select the right protective glove for my application?Jeff Moreland,Textile Technologist,Occupational Knitted Products…Continue

Tags: protection, cut, resistance

Started by MoniqueB Jun 5, 2008.

Ansell U Game

Has everyone played the Ansell U game? It's the same game many folks played at the Ansell booth at NSC last year. What do you think of this type of…Continue

Tags: protection, cut, technology

Started by Lara Kretler May 29, 2008.

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Safety Community.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service