Online Safety Community

Is it possible to use a rectractable line with the anchor point located at the feet?
I have read the manufacturers recommendations and they do not recommend this.
What do you do if you do not have a structure where you can install an anchor point above your head or at your shoulders?
How much clearance do you need from the ground when using a retractable line? The manufacturer claims that the device will not let you fall more than two feet. But how about the pendulum issue.
What will happen to the line if it strikes a wood structure when you fall? Will it snap?
Will a wood structure such as a wall built with 2x4s support an anchor point?
I am looking at specific applications when building homes.
I prefer that the work be conducted from a ladder or scaffold, however some sub contractors tell me that they can do the work using PFAS with rectratable lines.
Any suggestions?

Views: 73

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Tom, I didn't get the invitation I was supposed to get to come to DC on the 30th so I was unable to attend your meeting. I understand about retractables and the limitations. Rope grabs are the answer to your problem. Using our style system you don't have to be tied off over the top of your head so you don't have this type of compliance problem. If you'll give me a call we can discuss this further.
Tom,

An anchorage point must be able to support 5000lbs. I do not build homes and generally we have scaffolders on our project...if a proper anchorage point is not around erect scaffolding to allow a proper work platform. Many time I have seen roofers use fall prevention products such as positioning devices...but this is NOT fall protection.

A solution might be to train and document a competent person that could engineer and supervise the use of a horizontal life line. This could be placed at the proper level for your workers.

I don't work for OSHA and have fought my battles with them but I might also suggest setting up an appointment with your local OSHA office and asking them to help you work through this in THEIR office. You don't have to tell them your name or who you work for or at least when I worked in CA you didn't. They are their to help and as tax payers we should make them work for their money.

MDP
@ MDP

Can you please come up with the calculation of generating this 5000lbs force when a person falling?

Regards,
Dipil Kumar V
Hello;
I do not know much about rope grab, but what I have seen on the internet, I believe I would like to have something - in addition to the device. I also suggest the same that, M. D. Payne says. This is not to say that Rope Grabs have a place, but in a world where there are other alternativfes to take, I would find out what they are before relying on that.

RSS

Take our poll!

Take our poll!

Latest Activity

Silvia Watson posted a blog post

How Can Crossfit Training Keep You Healthy and Fit?

CrossFit is the best way to keep your body active, your mind intrigued and your system alive. This is a high-intensity workout routine that involves strength building, muscle building and weight training activities along with intense aerobic workouts. People who indulge in CrossFitting at least once in a week are faster, nimbler and retain top shape throughout the workout time span.…See More
5 hours ago
John Robinson posted a blog post

Regulations in the US and EU Dealing with Combination Products

Registering and maintaining combination products in the US and the EU is a bit tricky, because these are disparate markets that are governed by different sets of regulations which are independent of each other. So, any business that wants to market combination products into the US or the EU must be completely aware of the nature and meaning of all the regulations. Such businesses…See More
Friday
Adam Fleaming posted blog posts
Friday
Alex posted a blog post

3 essential electrical safety tips for new students

Living away from home for the first time is an exciting, invigorating, and pretty daunting experience. While your first days at uni will be the time of your life, living away from your parents also comes with a new set of challenges.Aside from cooking and cleaning, one thing we take for granted is our parents’ knowledge of how to keep us safe. Electrical safety, in particular, is something not many first-time students know a lot about, but electrical accidents are…See More
Friday

Discussion Forum

Final Rule in 2016? 1 Reply

Walking Working Surfaces and Personal Fall Protection Systems (Slips, Trips, and Fall Prevention) In its Spring 2015 Regulatory Agenda, OSHA said this rule would be released in August 2015. It’s now…Continue

Started by Jay D. Rohman. Last reply by Donald R. Schwenke Dec 28, 2015.

Unique fall protection situation ( looking for advice) 2 Replies

Hello     I have a unique fall protection situation and I am looking for some advice from someone who has dealt with a similar situation.     I work in a warehouse and our bulk racking (full pallet…Continue

Tags: deep, rack, warehouse, distribution, double

Started by Kristina Anderson. Last reply by Kevin Moore Apr 29, 2013.

Rectratable lines 4 Replies

Is it possible to use a rectractable line with the anchor point located at the feet?I have read the manufacturers recommendations and they do not recommend this.What do you do if you do not have a…Continue

Started by Tom Trauger. Last reply by Kevin Moore Nov 28, 2010.

Ladder Safety 2 Replies

I am presenting at the Construction Safety Conference   "Ladder Accidents & Violations…an Unnecessary Expense"in Chicago in a couple of week. I am about done with my presentation and would like…Continue

Started by Jay D. Rohman. Last reply by Kelli Heflin Mar 24, 2010.

CONGRESS TURNS UP HEAT FOR OSHA 1 Reply

Following up on my last blog concerning the federal compliance of safety harnesses you use, the following article was published by Human Resource Executive Online and can be found at…Continue

Tags: violations, harnesses, safety, compliance, OSHA

Started by Mark Dennington. Last reply by Jeffrey Nichols Dec 5, 2009.

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Safety Community.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service