WORK FROM A PLACE OF CALM
A stressful workplace is an unproductive workplace. Unhappy, nervous employees may be unable to concentrate, experience a low energy level, suffer from a lack of motivation, and develop health problems such as headaches, digestive issues and insomnia. These issues result in poor performance, problems getting along with coworkers, increased absenteeism and turnover, and more on-the-job accidents.
Why do workers become stressed at work? Common causes include:
• Workloads that are too high or too low
• A feeling of insufficient control over tasks
• Under-management or micro-management
• A paralyzing culture of blame and fear
• A feeling that employees are not important
• Too many managers and conflicting directions
• No way to unwind or have fun during the day
Some stressors, such as workloads and deadlines, cannot be eliminated, but they can be managed. Others can surely be fixed through an honest assessment — and potential reworking — of managerial procedures and work culture. And yet other solutions require a totally new mindset: massages at work, anyone?
The accompanying infographic offers 10 ways to lower the stress levels at work. Make an honest attempt to try these in your workplace. You just might be rewarded with happier, calmer employees who work harder and more productively, and a more enjoyable environment for everyone.