Every year, many construction workers are killed or seriously injured as a result of falls from height. All the accidents are preventable.
RISKS / HAZARDS WHILE WORKING AT HEIGHT:-
1. People falling down:-
Through unguarded / unsecured wall and floor openings.
While accessing the work area by shortcuts due to unsafe / improper access.
While working over incomplete / unsafe scaffolds / defective ladders.
Failure to use the PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) while working near the leading edges.
2. Materials / Tools falling down over people due to:-
2.1. Failure to secure hand tools.
2.2. Failure to secure / protect and cordon off the area below.
2.3. Missing toe boards / edge protection.
2.4. Poor house-keeping.
2.5. Using defective equipments and hand tools.
DO’s & DONT’s
• Ensure that no one works above or below your working area.
• Ensure appropriate measures are taken to protect people working or moving below your work area.
• Ensure your Supervisor is informed at once, if you identify any of the above hazards.
• Ensure ladders are securely tied and footed, and cannot slip outwards or side ways.
• Ensure ladders are inspected before each use and defects reported to your Supervisors.
• Ensure use of safety harness when you need to have your hands free from working.
• Ensure the scaff-tag system is adhered by all.
• Ensure castors are locked on tower scaffolds.
• Ensure the condition of fall arrest equipment before you use it. Report any defects in this equipment to your Supervisor.
• Do not work on incomplete scaffolds.
• Do not move a tower scaffold with people on platform.
• Do not alter scaffolds or remove scaffold boards. This work must only be carried out by trained scaffolder's. Don’t tamper Scaff-Tags.
• Don not remove any guard rails / edge protection or opening covers without prior permission.