Online Safety Community

When training your employees on chemical hazards and MSDS sheets, etc., what do you find are the most useful tactics or tools to use?

Views: 143

Replies to This Discussion

It's always hard to get people to pay attention to those. They seem to think that they know all about the chemicals they use, especially since we keep striving for safer and safer products. I usually begin with common Baking Soda (Arm & Hammer). Everyone knows that you can brush your teeth with it and use it to settle an acid stomach. During the review, I read the part about systemic alkalosis. That usually gets their attention. It points out to them that even everyday products that are considered safe can cause problems if mishandled.
I try to start with household chemicals. Everyone knows if you mix Bleach and Amonia it creates a poisonous gas that will put you in the hospital. Also, anti-freeze and pets don't mix! It has a sweet smell but if your pets laps it up it will kill them.

This is a good start and then i address chemicals used as part of worker's duties. Most people really don't understand why the MSDS is there and need to be educated on that and their "Michigan Right To know" here in our State of Michigan.
I agree that people tend to ignore MSDS sheets and assume that they know how to properly work with certain chemicals. These are both good, and similar, tactics. Thanks for sharing.
In addition to the good suggestions above, I usually can find someone who has an unlabeled bottle of water. I will raise it up and ask if anyone wants to try and guess whether it holds water, vodka or gin :) I then, after the laughter dies down, pass around clear drinking bottle containing bleach and ask if anyone would like to try to explain to the parent of a student how their child drank bleach :(
This usually provides adequate reinforcement for complying with labeling requirements and reinforces the need for labeling even on 'temporary use' containers.
Another good idea. Thanks for sharing everyone!

Always have an open forum after every session. Ask them what they learned so far and let them ask you questions about the things they're still confused about. It is very important that they fully understand everything on the MSDS. 

~Llewellyn

RSS

Take our poll!

Take our poll!

Latest Activity

HrishikeshRam posted a blog post

Noise Protection safety Tips for Workers

Take ordinary noise protection care – Wearing high caliber mechanical earplugs or ear muffs secures your ears and your hearing.Avoid loud conditions – You don't need to be a musician or jackhammer administrator to encounter hearing loss at work. As the concerts and constructional zones are two conditions that routinely cause hearing harm, it can occur in any noisy workplace around hardware, large vehicles, etc . Number of construction workers to have their hearing test every year. But you may…See More
11 minutes ago
Training Doyens posted an event
Thumbnail

Webinar on Make Presentations Pretty: Microsoft PowerPoint Tips and Techniques at 26468 E Walker Dr, Aurora, Colorado 80016

December 20, 2018 from 1pm to 2pm
OVERVIEWEven in today's online world, live, face-to-face presentations are still so crucial. That includes presentations of all types: training, sales, staff meetings, stock holder summaries, new company policies, church or organization meetings, fundraisers, etc. Microsoft PowerPoint is still the gold-standard of presentation tools.Because it comes with Microsoft Office…See More
2 hours ago
HrishikeshRam posted a blog post

Hand Safety Tips

The number of workers doesn’t use their gloves when it fails to offer enough ability for the important task. Dexterity is quite crucial while performing many tasks, such as working with little parts, or when working in cramped conditions. The real issue is simply the glove – it doesn't give the required dexterity to perform these tasks, so laborers remove their gloves, making themselves vulnerable. Read more…See More
yesterday
Adam Fleming posted a blog post

How to Turn Your Cyber Incident Response (Plans from Blah) into Fantastic?

Let us face it. A cyber incident could happen to any organization that has a computer system that is connected to the Net. Well, the next question is, does such an organization exist? Almost no organization in today’s world, no matter of what size and which part of the world it could be in, can function without a cyber system. So, this means that simply any organization is vulnerable to a cyberattack and every organization should have a cyber incident response plan in place.The simplest way to…See More
Friday

Discussion Forum

Nebosh course in Kolkata | Nebosh training in Kolkata | Safety course Kolkata

Nebosh is a UK approved educational board which provides various safety courses for working professional and students to become a health and safety ecperts. Nebosh offers safety courses through…Continue

Tags: safety, fees, institute, officer, kolkata

Started by Nakul Pratap Oct 16.

Enroll Our Nebosh Course in Saudi Arabia Becomes a professional safety officer

Green World Group is an repeated Safety training institute in Saudi Arabia offered Nebosh Course in Saudi Arabia.…Continue

Tags: online, riyadh, dammam, arabia, saudi

Started by Nakul Pratap Aug 17.

Hazard Communication 6 Replies

When training your employees on chemical hazards and MSDS sheets, etc., what do you find are the most useful tactics or tools to use? Continue

Tags: MSDS, right-to-know, training, safety, communication

Started by Christie Mendola. Last reply by kevincarter carter Nov 2, 2013.

Translating Safety Training Materials 6 Replies

If you work in an international company, do you translate your safety training materials into the native language of the trainees or customize your programs for each country?Continue

Tags: translations, training, safety

Started by Christie Mendola. Last reply by Kurt Franke Oct 12, 2012.

Focus Four Construction DVD or VHS 3 Replies

Does anyone know of a good video that covers all of the focus four topics?  I've checked with Coastal and Wumbus and so far I've found nothing.  One of my clients wants a single video to cover all…Continue

Started by Wes Daubenspeck. Last reply by John Padilla Jun 4, 2012.

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Safety Community.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service