Online Safety Community

What advice would you give a friend, family member, or disaster worker evolved with post hurricane clean-up regarding flooding?

Views: 39

Replies to This Discussion

1 cup of chlorine bleach to a gallon of water is the best disinfectant for cleaning up. (Be careful of colored items when disinfecting, as the chlorine will bleach out the colors. Bleach is probably the most effective type of disinfectant. It is often used in hospitals to clean specific types opf isolation rooms when other cleaners won't do. Additionally 16 drops of UNSCENTED bleach to a gallon of water will disinfect it enough to make it drinkable. Dawn
Although it was taught in the past 1 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water, it is only necessary to use 1/4 cup of bleach to get the same effect. I would like to thank John Miley for sharing this information with me. But when it comes to drinking water.. only use 16 drops!

Thanks for the help John.

Dawn
Dawn, Do you or any one you know used Sporicidin® Disinfectant?

http://www.americanairandwater.com/Sporicidin-disinfectant.htm
John, I have never heard of this before. I read the information on the website that you provided, but was looking for something regarding C-Dif. It's an intestinal infection that is extremely hard to treat and nothing but bleach will kill it. The Sporicidin sounds like something that would be very beneficial with flood water issues.

I do apologize for not being able to respond earlier, I am presently in the place of changing jobs.

Thank you once again for your input. By the way, you are correct in stating that 1/4 cup of bleach will do the job of a disinfectant. It is not necessary to do the whole cup. Waste not want not!

Dawn
Flood Waters = A Toxic Bath - It is very important to keep wounds covered and protected, especially from any flood water type issues. Often children want to play in flood waters; they don't understand that not only do they have water, but they are sharing other undesirables as part of the "bath". Animal Urine and Feces, Lawn Chemicals, Even Haz Waste items, Raw Human Sewage, Insects, etc that may actually float or swim in the water, are all sharing that "bath" with them. Don't let children run around without shoes when your home or area has been flooded. (actually no one should be barefooted where there were flood waters) People with compromised immune systems should not enter flooded areas at all. It is very important to remember that after touching anything that came in contact with flood waters, you should wash your hands before you eat, drink or touch others. Even if you had gloves on.. wash your hands and as an added precaution throw in a hand sanitizer

Dawn
Chlorine is the best. Taking frequent breaks and just getting out of the contaminated building is a must. As someone who was visited by Hurricane Katrina, and now Gustav I can tell you first hand it is taxing on the mind, spirit, and body to enter the areas and perform clean-up. Also, be very careful where you put your hands and feet. You will be sharing the environment with the rest of God's creatures, e.g. snakes, spiders, microbes. And remember to LAUGH!!

RSS

Take our poll!

Take our poll!

Latest Activity

kate smith posted a blog post

Documentation of Employee Discussions is all Important

As with law, the dictum for management is this: What is not documented does not exist. One can look back at the age-old Latin adage to this effect -Verba Volant, Scripta Manent, meaning “what is said flies, what is written stays”. This just about summarizes the need for documentation in organizations.Documentation is at the heart of organizations, because when employees take an organization to court for some strong reason such as termination -and there is no dearth of such lawsuits…See More
yesterday
rodriguezcecelia posted blog posts
yesterday
John Robinson posted blog posts
yesterday
Adam Fleaming posted blog posts
yesterday

Discussion Forum

Disaster Pre-Planning with MAPS

With so many different hazards facing business infrastructure it's clearly a challenge to plan for everything.  One aspect of this type of planning that is often overlooked is the Geospatial aspect.…Continue

Started by Dustin Apr 1, 2011.

Is your business prepared for the unexpected?

How well would your business fair if the unexpected occurred today? September is National Preparedness Month and employers are encouraged to make a plan to avoid issues that could affect their…Continue

Tags: noodlestream, safetyskills, emergency, september, month

Started by SafetySkills Sep 3, 2009.

Disaster Contingency Planning 4 Replies

I have been tasked with updating our Contingency Plan. My problem is that this Plan is over 30 pages of information. It is too long, doesn't apply to a company our size (we are smaller), and it's…Continue

Started by Lynne. Last reply by Mark Balduzzi Jul 28, 2009.

Disater information for employees 3 Replies

Any companies handout information to employees on how to handle a disater at home. I was thinking of putting some material together and handout at my next training class. Your thoughts.

Started by Larry. Last reply by Jay D. Rohman Jun 8, 2009.

Flooding after a hurricane 6 Replies

What advice would you give a friend, family member, or disaster worker evolved with post hurricane clean-up regarding flooding?

Tags: clean-up, disater, hurricane, flooding

Started by John Miley. Last reply by Barbara R. Guynes Oct 2, 2008.

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Safety Community.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service