Online Safety Community

I have been reviewing the multitude of EHSmanagement systems and program examples on the web. It seems everyone has created a new "best practice". This does little for a group who is trying to determine which is best for them.

I would love to see some thoughts on how other corporations have instituted EHS management systems. At this time, I am leaning towards recomending following both ISO 14000 and OSHA VPP. I am not sure how they will mesh, but I know the OSHAS 18000 will not fly in this facility. Besides, I believe the employee involvement and the mentor program to be vital.

Jack

Views: 92

Replies to This Discussion

Is this just a means for management to say they are doing something? To really do something need management to set goals and show commitment - set up a group for implementing plan towards goals. Start with understanding the risks and then management set priorities for reducing risk - workforce help set priorities e.g. by suggestions, so involved and need to see that what they say counts. Implemented through the group at first until becomes part of daily routine and constant dialogue with the workforce. Management must reinforce that EHS is an important priority. Its not a one off thing. I am very cynical about these ISO systems. Dont know VPP but just looked it up - principle looks good. I'm just a cynical safety consultant!
I can't disagree with you. But this is just what these systems are about. I would say the most important feature is the auditing requirement the periodically looks at whether you are actually implementing a safety culture or just filling out forms and paying lip service.

All of these systems have the same goal in mind...effective HS&E management. The difference is in how theyy approach it and how they measure it. For instance, VPP has a very largte employee participation factor while OSHAS 18000 has less employee involvement required. Also, some of the programs have a more organized support network such as the VPPA for the VPP.

I am sure there are countless other differentiation. I am hoping to hear from some safety pros that have dealt with multiple types and have some war stories to share.

Thanks for the comment!

Jack
Dear Jack

I think that what I meant was that a) none of these systems will specify goals, these will come from management e.g. safety targets. Why not specify goals first (with some workforce involvement) and engage the workforce (and management) in deciding which systems of these would be applicable and useful (with management saying that it is an important thing to do). Then they are already being brought on board and they realise then that it is important and what the issues are (e.g. it is a system that has to be maintained, just as the good culture and motivation has to be maintained). After all it will affect them in the end. So, what I mean is to just have a paper based system in itself wont do anything.

I do think such formal systems have value, but not if you are the only person interested and putting it together. Anyway you need some companies to give you some feedback and I cant help you there but if you google the different systems you might find some of the feedback you are looking for. e.g. you could use "implementing EHS systems" and then you get statements from companies about what they are doing

Regards
Linda
Your concern is valid - there are many "EHS Management Systems" available, but what makes the most sense for your company? It is important to first define what you want to accomplish and why. If your company is seeking certification, then ISO 14001 (Environmental) or OSHA VPP might be appropriate. On the other hand, if you only want a management system model that makes sense for your application, then you might look to ANSI Z10 for Occupational Health and Safety Managaement Systems, for example. The ANSI standard addresses employee involvement and mentoring and is performance oriented.

ISO 14001 and OSHA VPP do not mesh seamlessly. OSHAs 18001 and ANSI Z10 are more like 14001 in their management systems aspects, but they have different approaches as well. 14001, for example, is fairly prescriptive in aspects and impacts of significant environmental risks, whereas ANSI Z10 only looks for a formal risk assessment process - you can decide how to approach risk assessment.

Unless they are going for ISO 14001 certification or VPP STAR status, we see many companies taking the essence of ANSI Z10 or similiar models, taking the best of each and applying it to whatever makes the most sense for their application.
Jack, we are a VPP Star site and also Certified ISO 9001. We had a different person managing each program. VPP came first, then ISO. The guy that was handling our VPP program retired and his responsiblities were transfered to the guy that coordinates our ISO program. We have had several discussions about marrying the two programs because of the simularities.

VPP has made a world of difference at our site, but we have done a lot of hiring in the last 3 years and don't have much investment from the newer employees. I am hoping that with a new coordinator we will have a renewed interest and get some of the new employees involved. And if each of our VPP Element Teams have to go through their element line by line and tie ISO in, that may be the freshing that we need.

Jay
Well Jack, ISO 14000 & 14001 are almost standard practice now! I'm surprised these people are so far behind the times. Are they a large coporation or a small one? What kind of facility are you talking about? What kind of industry are they in? OSHA VPP is also becoming rather universal.

Employee Involvement can be taken a step further to include a behavior-based safety program. Have you considered such a program?

Also, in answer to Linda's view of ISO I would have to say that ISO OHSAS18001is really an OHSMS or Occupational Health & Safety Management System. Actually 18001 is a great system for getting the whole system to work together as a well-oiled machine! The ANSI Z10 standard is VERY COMPLEX with a lot of side processes and the OHSAS 18001 is far leaner and less apt to bogg down the whole process.

Jack it sounds like a behavior-based Safety System, creating a Safety Culture, and getting management buy-in should be your first priorities. These folks are behind the 8-ball already!
If your company has implemented ISO 14000, the new OSHAS 18000 Standard correlates to the ISO 14000 and is relatively easy to implement by expanding the system already in place; therefore, having an integrated system. You can make these systems as simple or as complex as your company's own procedures and identified risk. You can also add as much employee involvement as needed by simply incorporating it into the processes. The requirements are rather vague on how they are to be implemented and I have learned from experience that they can be taylored to the individual company's needs.

RSS

Take our poll!

Take our poll!

Latest Activity

Michael Zhou posted a blog post

GAO Report Suggests CEHRT May Hamper MACRA Success for Small Practices

Health IT doesn’t have to be a struggle.Today’s physicians are inundated with regulations and rules as well as a steady stream of changes, some of which affect the digital side of medicine. Although initiatives and products are designed to improve healthcare, many often hinder it.Background. The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) published a report in December 2016 that highlighted the struggle small practices are having with interoperability and integrating EHRs into their daily…See More
1 hour ago
Training Doyens posted events
1 hour ago
Denise McGinn, CAE posted a blog post

Michigan Safety Conference Wins Award

Dearborn, MI (September 14, 2017)- The Michigan Safety Conference SPARKLED like a DIAMOND at the 16th annual Michigan Society of Association Executive Diamond Award Banquet on September 14, 2017.  The Conference received a Diamond Award in the Meetings & Exposition category (Less than $1million), for its excellence at the 2017 Michigan Safety Conference (April 11-12, 2017). MSAE’s 16th Annual Diamond Awards recognized the best of the best in the association industry. As a star-studded and…See More
13 hours ago
rodriguezcecelia posted a blog post

How to Benefit from Six Sigma Training Chicago

The first step that you need to follow when it comes to benefiting from 6 Sigma Training Chicago is finding out exactly what your options are. The right website will help you in this matter by offering you information regarding the type of Six Sigma Training in Chicago that you can opt for, the belt certification system and the software that is all about statistical analysis. You should not make any decisions before you know which of these options matches your needs.For example, if you are not…See More
17 hours ago

Discussion Forum

Newly Revised Z10 Safety Management Standard -- ANSI Z10-2012

The Z10 standard provides an overall blueprint for widespread benefits in health and safety, as well as in productivity, financial, performance, quality and other organizational/business objectives.…Continue

Started by Cory Zielke Sep 26, 2012.

Global Leaders in EHS & Q

I am a consultant for this company: www.intelex.comGreat application that manages everything Environment Health Safety and Quality.Message if you would like to…Continue

Started by Avi Feb 1, 2012.

Would you like to represent an international association ISQEM as one of our Directors?

Invitation to apply for ISQEM Director This is your chance to raise you own professional profile in the HSQE industry by becoming a Director of ISQEM, and help increase our membership worldwide. If…Continue

Started by Wayne Harris May 7, 2011.

Equipment maintenance and inspection programmes

We recently developed a range of equipment tagging and inspection systems for equipment including ladders, forklifts, scaffolding, MEWPs, scaffold towers, harnesses, racking etc and I hoped I could…Continue

Tags: checklist, tagging, systems, management, inspections

Started by Good to Go Safety Apr 23, 2010.

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Safety Community.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service