I am a member of SkillsUSA and I will be competing in Extemperaneous Speaking in Kansas City! I was curious about safety precautions that should be made for those at speaking events, so I started researching. Here are a few that I found:
1. Ensure that all electrical wires are taped to the floor and near the edge of the stage.
2. Avoid wobbly podiums
3. Glow-in-the-dark tape areound the edge of the stage
4. Dry floors are a must
5. Eleminate all litter on the floor
6. Clean drinking water must be provided
7. Railing and stairs at the stage
8. The stage can accomadate the weight of the speaker and props
I know they all seem common sense but I found it interesting to see all the thought that goes on before a speaking engagement. If you have any safety tips for stage safety, please share!